What is Geocaching? Have you ever daydreamed about going on a hunt for a hidden treasure? Today, thousands of people around the world are doing just that through geocaching. At its most basic level, geocaching is a game where players use map apps on their smart phone to track down a location, container, or cache. Caches may contain any number of small items, or they may only contain a logbook or other way for players to sign to mark their find.
Your Challenge: This is a fun and active way to explore Walpole and North Walpole. Find seven Walpole area destinations that encourage being active and outdoors. Each destination will have a small marker with a QR. Scan the QR code with your phone to find out more information about the location. Now, on to the next destination! Walpole Town Library Geocaching will run June 18 through July 30.
How Do I Participate?
First go HERE to register
Clues and Coordinates:
- Say hi to Smokey the Bear. 43.143767,-72.450526
2. Follow the grassy path all the way to Hooper Pond. 43.067638,-72.416866
3. Come play a sport named for a sour snack. 43.087585,-72.430356
4. This room is named for a local celebrity. 43.079208,-72.425599
5. Take a book, leave a book. 43.142777,-72.448766
6. This building used to be full of children. 43.078103,-72425005
7. Playground in the woods. 43.082971,-72.362476
How to enter coordinates on your smartphone:
- On your smartphone or tablet, open a maps app.
- In the search box at the top, type your coordinates. Here is an example: Decimal degrees (DD): 41.40338, -2.17403 Remember to put a comma in between the two coordinates, and include the minus sign in the second coordinate.
- You’ll see a pin at your coordinates.
- That’s your destination.
- At your destination look for the marker, then scan the QR code.
- Now, on to the next destination!